This morning at the Satellite 2017 show Jeff Bezos, of Amazon and Blue Origin, provided an on the New Glenn launch system, including video below. He also announced that they had signed their first customer Eutelsat.
— Jeff Bezos (@JeffBezos) March 7, 2017
Update March 8, Jeff announced second customer for New Glenn
— Jeff Bezos (@JeffBezos) March 8, 2017
Here are some of the details revealed today: –
- New Glenn is a two stage system with first stage being designed for 100 reuses.
- New Glenn is designed to carry 13 tonnes to GTO and 45 to LEO.
- New Glenn will have six landing legs and could still land even if one didn’t deploy correctly.
- New Glenn first stage will use seven BE-4 engines (based on Video), which would translate to approximately 3.85 million lbs of thrust at launch.
- Blue Origin incorporated what they have learned from New Shepherd into the design of New Glenn.
In related news, Jeff tweeted yesterday that the first BE-4 engine completed assembly.
— Jeff Bezos (@JeffBezos) March 6, 2017